All of the roses have died - shriveled up, too thirsty and too bound to blossom. Thirsting for life. They lived on inside their little buds, never fully awakened.
Except for one. One tiny rose anxious for life. Perhaps it will make it, always seeking the sun, seeking the fullest life.
Are you awakened?
As fall arrives this is our challenge - to be awake and together again despite the cold winds sweeping ahead, always just around the corner.
Lately quite a few folks have been coming to me admitting like a secret under their breath that they are a creative writer too. They just don't know what to do.
I recommend to develop your process. Pick up a copy of The Artist's Way and begin to tap into your creative soul. There's also a great introductory podcast by Elizabeth Gilbert called Magic Lessons. I love it.
One of the final exercises in The Artist's Way is to write down your own creative affirmations. I think it helps guide you. Here are mine.
- I am strong, beautiful and full of love and passion for the world.
- I help build community, unite others, and create empathy through storytelling.
- The stories I tell are vital to helping others understand and live in our world today.
- I work to help all people those diverse in background and economic standing, those left behind from traditional American narratives.
- I believe in the power of the human spirit. I believe that we can create and recreate again. That we each have a purpose.
- I help inspire and empower people to fulfill their life’s potential.
- My purpose is to unite others. I do this through storytelling and community building.
- I am very prolific with many, many wonderful stories to share in this world. There is no competition with art. There is only creation.
What would yours be?
Dying is like fireworks. I imagine
our souls ready to rise up
the clouds moving through us
the passion flows
a spark of a smile
glows, glows, glows
Leaving our skin
It is the fire ready
the warmth of love
leaving the body -
the soul kissing the sky.
A fierce mark for just
one second of this life.
We are the colors on the sky dancing on.